As part of the research process for asialaw Profiles we survey buyers of legal services for their feedback on:
- Assessment and Rating of law firms and lawyers’ quality of service and work
- Upcoming market trends
Here is a snapshot of the data for Malaysia:
We ask clients to rate law firms on the following (from 1 poor to 5 excellent):
- Costs transparency
- Extensive local/international network
- Industry sector knowledge
- Technical ability and innovation
- Use of technology
- Value for money
- Client relationship management
- Risk management
Best firm by individual attribute
- Costs transparency: Donovan & Ho
- Extensive local/international network: Christopher & Lee Ong
- Industry sector knowledge: Adnan Sundra & Low
- Technical ability and innovation: Adnan Sundra & Low, Donovan & Ho (tie)
- Use of technology: Christopher & Lee Ong
- Value for money: Christopher & Lee Ong
- Client relationship management: Chooi & Company + Cheang & Ariff (CCA Law), Donovan & Ho, MahWengKwai & Associates
- Risk management: Adnan Sundra & Low
Best overall firms by aggregate score
- Donovan & Ho
- Adnan Sundra & Low
- Christopher & Lee Ong
- Lim Jo Yan & Co
- MahWengKwai & Associates
- Shearn Delamore
- Wong & Partners
- Chooi & Company + Cheang & Ariff
- Shooklin & Bok
- Ariff Rozhan & Co
Highest rated law firm attribute: Overall client relationship management
Lowest rated law firm attribute: Use of technology
We ask clients to rate lawyers based on the following attributes (from 1 poor to 5 excellent)::
- Commercial understanding
- Country knowledge
- Industry sector knowledge
- Listening to and implementing feedback
- Meeting deadlines
- Responsiveness and accessibility
- Technical ability
Best lawyers based on aggregate score
- Indran Shanmuganathan, Shearn Delamore
- Cindy Goh, Chooi & Company + Cheang & Ariff
- Adrian Chee, Adnan Sundra & Low; Adrian Koh, MahWengKwai & Associates
- Jack Chor, Christopher & Lee Ong
- Lim Jo Yan, Lim Jo Yan & Co
- Tan Ming Li, Chooi & Company + Cheang & Ariff
- Shawn Ho, Donovan & Ho
- Yoong Sin Min, Shook Lin & Bok
- Chris Hemingway, Marks & Clerk
- Denise Phang, MahWengKwai & Associates
Highest rated lawyer attribute: Communication
Lowest rated lawyer attribute: Industry Sector Knowledge
Topic that concerns clients most
Regulatory or governmental changes
How law firms can assist clients:
- Always keep up to date on the regulation and changes implemented.
- Be the liaison with regulators to shape the legal framework for the financial industry based on the current development of the industry
- Insights of the thought process of regulators (and new and potential legal and regulatory changes) in and outside of Malaysia
- Keep us up-to-date on the changes and its impact and implications on the industry.
- Provide briefings or a snapshot summary of any key changes to facilitate quicker understanding
- Provide examples of court cases (local and foreign) to help reader understand the basis of law
- The external counsel will assist to prepare Court's work and paper for any non-compliance from our licensee.
- To provide solutions towards the regulatory or governmental changes which may impact the business and operations of our group
Which practice area do they anticipate to give more work to external legal counsel in the next 12 months
Which practice area do they anticipate to give less work to legal counsel in the next 12 months:
No clear trend
Which one jurisdiction in Asia-Pacific do you wish you had more business information about to improve your work performance?
1) Indonesia 2) Singapore 3) China
How can law firms improve their service to clients?
- In the area that they are advising MCMC, knowledge is Economics is relevant. Although some of their senior partners have acquired such knowledge, there is room for improvement
- Ability to resolve and negotiate for best terms for and on our behalf. Ability to react promptly and keep us well advised on options available and its consequences for immediate commercial decision
- Act as one firm. Stay reachable. Build and retain talent
- Coaching the witness to anticipate questions from the defendant's lawyer and provide appropriate reply during cross-examination especially for the individual who attends court hearing as witness for the first time, if that is possible
- Consistency at associate level
- Have an on-line IP database management system for easy accessibility by the clients.
- Improve on the affiliation with other international law firms
- Improve turnaround time
- increase adoption of technology
- Keep on updating cases status to clients without being reminded/asked. Monthly by email will do
- Perhaps better research capabilities to be able to cite local and foreign cases to help client build a more robust case
- Perhaps the firm should make itself more affordable to SME companies as well
- The firms strengths can be further complimented by adoption of legal tech
- The law firm can improve its services by more pro-actively adopted technological and digital advances. Admittedly, this is not common in the trade in this jurisdiction, Malaysia and they stand on par with other top firms in this respect.
- To improve the feedback speed when the lawyers in business trip
- Expand your team with good attributes and EQ, alongside the knowledge and experience
- Would prefer a little more clarity in terms of costings before any work or billings has been initiated
Delivering better service is an important part of upselling and cross-selling to existing clients and acquiring new ones. More sophisticated client relationship management can increase revenues per practice area or industry group and expand margins per partner.
Asialaw Data Intelligence Report contains a breakdown of client responses to asialaw Profiles surveys.
We can identify:
- How clients perceive your firm and lawyers
- Concerns that affect their role and how your firm can help them
- How your firm compares with its peers
- Market trends for the coming 12 months
The Data Intelligence Report will allow your firm to:
- Assess your firm at multiple levels (firm, practice area, lawyer).
- Identify issues clients have with your firm and implement solutions
- Develop new business development opportunities
- Prepare strategic or marketing plans based on client growth and needs.
An example can be found here
The information will provide you with an enhanced appreciation of who your client respondents are and how they view your firm and practitioners enables you to improve client service delivery.
It will help leverage your firm’s strength’s, address its weaknesses, solidify its client relationships and ultimately increase your firm’s revenues.
For more information contact: William.firstname.lastname@example.org