- Year Joined Firm
- Network Memberships
Qualifications and memberships
• Bachelor of Laws
• Graduate Diploma in Finance & Investment (SIA)
• Fellow of FINSIA (formerly the Securities Institute of Australia)
• Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland
• Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
• Solicitor of the Supreme Courts of Australian Capital Territory and Northern Territory
• Queensland Law Society and Law Council of Australia Insolvency Committee Member
• Member of the Queensland Law Society
• Member of the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA)
• Member of INSOL International
- Practitioner Profile
Richard Cowen has practised for more than 20 years as a solicitor exclusively in insolvency, commercial litigation and commercial negotiation, documentation and dispute resolution, as well as being admitted as a Barrister in Queensland in 1990.
Richard has acted in many of Australia’s largest insolvencies, including Pyramid Building Society, Farrow Mortgage Services, Tri-Continental, Bond Corporation, The Wattle Group (Dexter), Storm Financial, Kleenmaid and numerous others.
In addition, Richard has represented clients in a wide range of litigation matters, including securing Australia’s largest award of private exemplary damages for a client against a defendant who was found to be acting improperly.
Richard has acted as general counsel for a large, national labour hire company, in assisting the company comply with its corporate governance obligations (such as the consideration of its share ownership structure and maintenance of company records). He has also provided legal advice and services in employment law matters in areas including, but not limited to:-
• assessing the obligations and entitlements of employees and employers;
• assessing post-employment obligations; and
• drafting and enforcing restraints of trade.
Richard has considerable experience in asset structuring, corporate and commercial matters and related issues that affect our clients. He advises directors, shareholders and business owners on these matters before, during and after disputes arise.
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession has consistently recognised Richard since 2012, and has again ranked Richard in both Leading Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution Lawyers and Leading Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers, where he has again been recognised as Pre-Eminent in Insolvency in 2018, bolstering the firm’s First Tier ranking for Insolvency & Restructuring in Queensland.
- Key Practice Areas
Corporate/M&A, Dispute Resolution & Litigation, General Business Law, Restructuring & Insolvency
- Sector Expertise
Energy, Mining & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Real Estate, Technology, Media & Telecommunications