Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Summit 2018 - Agenda
September 20 2018, Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong
AGENDA | SPEAKERS | VENUE | CONTACT US
Updates to dispute resolution in China
- Structural changes to China’s legal/regulatory landscape and how this will affect dispute resolution in China
- Updates to dispute resolution in China, including the setting up of three new disputes courts for its Belt & Road initiative
- Chinese outbound investment risks you should be aware of – how might ‘grey rhinos’ become a litigation risk?
- How might competition law in China affect the resolution of disputes?
- Updates to China’s anti-corruption unit and how this may affect litigation and dispute resolution in China, Hong Kong and beyond
The rise of IP and cyberlaw disputes
- IP, cyber law and e-commerce in the dispute resolution context - top trends surrounding these areas in Asia, including payment mechanisms, tracing assets and enforcement issues
- The growth of online dispute resolution regarding IP rights - what is being set up and how accessible is this?
- How will the reorganisation of ministries in China, including IP, affect enforcement?
Belt & Road from a dispute resolution context
- What are the opportunities and challenges that will arise from a dispute resolution context? What resources will be needed?
- Examples of related infrastructure projects - what sorts of cases will come up?
- International contracts: how will the recognition and enforcement of foreign courts decisions and arbitration awards play out?
- How will third party funding come into play?
- How can Hong Kong further develop its position as an ideal arbitral seat in this context?
Conducting commercial and financial regulatory disputes in Asia
- Regulatory updates in the Asia-Pacific region including fraud, anti-trust, bribery and anti-corruption
- What is pushing the rise of commercial disputes across Asia?
- What are some challenges you might face when taking regulatory action against multinationals?
- What local regulators focusing on - including updated enforcement regulations for SFC, and Investigations, malpractices
Cross-border enforcement on the rise: what to be aware of
- Newest developments and challenges in the enforcement of overseas judgments across the region
- Trends: cross-border litigation on the rise, heightened levels of enforcement on antitrust across APAC
- Enforcing foreign judgments: what are some practical considerations to be aware of?
- How things have changed in China since its signing of the Convention on Choice of Court Agreements last September
- Post-court judgment remedy tactics and strategies for creditors
Mediation in the region: a primer
- Why companies are increasingly using mediation as a solution for resolving disputes
- Mediation: before it goes to litigation what needs to be done? Is it effective?
- Selecting your mediator: the importance of a good mediator to effectively resolve disputes
- New developments in the region (Japan, Malaysia, Singapore) and their impact
- On an international level, what developments are being made? A look into UNICTRAL’s working group draft convention on enforcement of mediated settlements
Key trends in cross-border disputes
- Why is arbitration still the best mechanism for resolving cross-border disputes?
- Regulatory and investigations updates: HKMA, SFC
- Practical considerations in a cross-border transaction: forum and counsel selection; costs; enforcement; cross-cultural differences
- Perspectives from in-house counsel in the region
Insolvency proceedings: cross-border and regional
- Forum shopping for insolvency proceedings
- What to be aware of when winding up outside the location of incorporation
- Case studies: major debt restructurings in the region in the past year
- Going extra-territorial: what is the courts’ ability to make orders outside of the country?
Regional trends and updates in investment treaty arbitration
- What protections do investors have under investment treaty arbitration?
- Belt & Road: opportunities and challenges that will arise from this initiative
- Opportunities in the Indian bilateral investment treaty space
- Emerging trend: tax-related disputes and international tax treaties, and how this will affect investment treaty arbitration
The growth of litigation funding in Asia
- Trends and updates across the region
- How has Singapore taken the lead in terms of litigation finance in the region?
- Developments in Hong Kong regarding third party funding in litigation
- What are some innovative ways of funding in the pipeline?